The RX Professionals
State of California Requirements
California Code of Regulations Section 1793.6(c)
To become a Pharmacy Technician in the State of California the requirements are:
Must complete a course that provides a training period of at least 240 hours of theoretical and practical instruction, provided that these hours are in theoretical instruction in a curriculum that provides:
2. Knowledge and understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a pharmacy technician in relationship to other pharmacy personnel and knowledge of standards and ethics, laws and regulations governing the practice of pharmacy.
3. Knowledge and ability to identify and employ pharmaceutical and medical terms, abbreviations and symbols commonly used in prescribing, dispensing, and record keeping of medication.
4. Knowledge of and the ability to carry out calculations required for common dosage determination, employing both the metric and apothecary systems.
5. Knowledge and understanding of the identification of drugs, drug dosages, routes of administration, dosage forms and storage requirements.
6. Knowledge of and ability to perform the manipulative and record-keeping functions involved in and related to dispensing prescriptions.
7. Knowledge of and ability to perform procedures and techniques relating to manufacturing, packaging, and labeling of drug products.